Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dal centro della mia vita venne una grande fontana

"From the center of my life, there came a great fountain..."

In the wake of a life-changing incident, how does one cope? Everything has changed in the way I view the world. From the seat of a wheelchair, it looks even more dismal. I want to say my faith has evolved- grown deeper and stronger and more vibrant, as I see God's hand at work in the "every day"- but it hasn't. Is something wrong with me? Nothing seems to stick. I feel a flicker, a surge, an overwhelming, but just as soon as it rises, the tide ebbs and flows back into the general void.

Dante wrote "God is not merely a blinding vision of glorious light, but that He is, most of all, the love that moves the sun and the other stars..." Strangely enough, these centuries-old words give me strength. God does not have to be a swooning passion, but He can be (and for most is) the Constant; the steady presence of what Is.

1 comment:

jouise said...

i love you even more than i thought possible. if it gives you any solace at all, i would never recover if you weren't in my life. i thank God daily for the gift of you. love, love, my darsky.